Big Bear family program gets kids outdoors
BIG BEAR, Calif. (KABC) -- A family program in Big Bear is helping adults beat the heat and challenging kids to get in shape by heading outdoors.
"Yeah, it's cool. You get like little free things if you go out and do the activities that's on here," said Trevor Wright of Big Bear.
Wright is talking about a kid's fitness program in Big Bear that is getting kids off the couch and into nature.
Big Bear Marketing Director Dan McKernan designed a program called "Kids. Get Outdoors. Win." after relatives came for a visit.
"The kids actually had their video games in front of them and they were watching TV and I go, 'wait a minute this isn't right,'" said McKernan.
He then pulled the community together, creating an adventure passport of outdoor exercises with about 30 activities in the summer and 30 more in the winter. Kids pick up a passport, choose an activity, and then get the book stamped at the Big Bear Nature Center. A stamp entitles them to a free prize.
Even with just one stamp a child can earn a round of miniature golf or a go cart ride. Two stamps it would be laser tag or bumper cars. Three stamps entitles kids to an all-day water slide pass.
Three or more activities makes kids eligible for really big prizes like a two-night hotel stay or a brand new mountain bike. The prizes are donated by local businesses that are enjoying the programs popularity. Sponsors like it, parents too.
"It's nice weather out here and it's a lot of education for the kids," said Luis Soto of Riverside.
Soto's 5-year-old son Miles loved the nature he saw cycling.
The summer program is in full swing, but passbooks need to be in by Sept. 20 for the grand prize drawings.
san bernardino county, food coach, lori corbin
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Compton chase victim remembered by loved ones
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail
- Man arrested for suspected arson in Oxnard
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'