Herbalist reveals kitchen items that heal
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- You turn to your kitchen to find food to eat, but Herbalist Sara Chana says you may also have items that can ease your pain.
Power vinegars offer a bit of medicinal properties with that good taste.
"They're medicinal, and they're absolutely yummy and tasty. And they're easy, and they're things that people have in their houses," Chana said.
She says it also increases circulation, so it's great for people who are cold or feel like they have a cold coming on.
"It really helps stabilize blood sugar levels. It actually also helps with arthritic pain," Chana said.
Vinegar on its own is a good cleaning agent, but when combined with herbs and produce, it makes a great salad dressing, marinade or daily tonic that can be taken in teaspoon form.
Fire vinegar, for example, has garlic, onion, pepper and cayenne to heat up circulation. Or try a milder vinegar infused with dill and onions to aid digestion and reduce inflammation. Rosemary can also be added to help circulation as well.
"If people don't feel good with apple cider vinegar, my next choice would be a rice vinegar," Chana said.
Chana puts the ingredients in apple cider vinegar. After 48 hours, it's ready for use. Beyond two weeks, you can strain it and store in the fridge. The longer you have it, the stronger it will become.
Two interesting ingredients to add to your medicine cabinet are French green clay and yuana payo, a Chinese powder. Both have great antimicrobial properties.
French green clay is great for kitchen burns, diaper rashes and mosquito bites, Chana said, while yuana payo powder can "coagulate the blood instantly."
Both are found at health food stores and online for under $10.
food, health, food coach, lori corbin
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse 5 min ago
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Kidnap suspect search shuts down DTLA streets 9 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Man barricaded in Whittier apartment building 49 min ago
- IE man found guilty of molesting 3 girls
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
59 min ago