Frozen pizzas compared by Consumer Reports
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Americans spent more than $3 billion last year on frozen pizza, but just how tasty are the offerings in your store freezer? Consumer Reports evaluated 16 individual-sized frozen pizzas, both pepperoni and cheese.
"We left our labs for a little off-site taste test, and we are happy to report you can get takeout taste in your own home," said Erin Riddell of Consumer Reports.
Home Run Inn Classic was top rated for both cheese and pepperoni pizzas. In fact, tasters said it was higher quality than both Domino's and Pizza Hut. They were loaded with fresh-tasting sauce and lots of stretchy cheese. But these are a fat and calorie splurge compared to others in the freezer case.
Red Baron Singles Deep Dish are Consumer Reports' "best buys" and fared a bit better for nutrition. The pastry-like crust had noticeably crispy edges, with slightly spicy sauce and stretchy cheese.
Many of the individual pizzas tested are also microwaveable and have packaging specially designed to crisp the crust.
But testers found it's not the best way to go.
"We found that some of the ones you can microwave, you're probably better off if you cook them in the oven," Riddell said.
So, keep a few frozen pizzas on hand for a convenient, tasty choice when hunger hits.
Health experts say you are getting calcium from the cheese and lycopene from the tomato sauce, so it could be a pretty good health food -- just watch those toppings.
food, consumer reports, food coach, lori corbin
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Tustin theater evacuated for investigation
- Burbank stabbing leaves 2 in serious condition
- High-speed chase leads to arrests, 5 injuries
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report