LA County teams up with restaurants to make healthy changes
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- There's a new effort to get people to eat less and healthier when they eat out.
Teaming up with area restaurants and a grant from First 5 LA, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health is cooking up a new campaign called Choose Health LA to help fight fat.
"This is just the launch. This is just the beginning," said Dr. Jonathan E. Fielding, director of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health.
According to L.A. County statistics, nearly a quarter of low-income children 3 and 4 years old are obese or overweight while adult onset diabetes is the fastest growing disease among teens.
"The financial implications in addition to the quality of life implications on that population is horrific," said Los Angeles County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky.
Currently, L.A. County spends $6 billion yearly on weight-related issues.
"There is no panacea. There is no one thing we can do that is going to solve this problem," said Fielding.
But there are a handful of things to try, such as cutting portions by 25 to 30 percent.
"Our partner restaurants are offering smaller portions of existing menu items. They're also offering healthy and healthier children's meals," said Fielding.
Those include fruit, vegetables, healthy beverages, non-fried food and free chilled water. Subway and Poquito Mas chains are on board, along with a handful of L.A. eateries. More are encouraged to get their logo on the menu because the program is free to participating restaurants.
An L.A. County survey says a typical family in the county eats out four times weekly, yet 85 percent say they're in favor of reduced sized portions.
Perhaps the best message here is it's not about dieting. It's about eating what you want, just simply less of it. For example, a typical 12-inch Subway could be about 1,100 calories. Well cut that in half for a six-inch and you've got half the calories. And even for your little one, there's the three-inch sub.
food, food coach, lori corbin
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill
- S.Korea ferry crew actions were 'murderous'
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Alleged arsonist Tased by police in Hollywood
- Compton big rig crash leaves woman dead 29 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Hyun-Jin Ryu raises money for ferry victims
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
10 min ago