Freeze therapy helps in athletic recovery
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An icepack is great for helping your body heal from injuries. You can also take that to the extreme with cryotherapy. The whole-body treatment literally freezes the skin, dropping core temperature to reduce inflammation.
Cryohealthcare co-owner Emilia Kuehne says this treatment originated in Japan in 1978 for rheumatoid arthritis.
Cryotherapy exposes the body to ultra low temperatures to help with injuries, skin conditions and more.
Clients spend two to three minutes in a "cryosauna" that takes body temperature down to 30 degrees Fahrenheit. It's quick, but a bit painful.
"It's almost like standing outside in the snow with shorts and a tank top on," said one user.
However, there is protection where needed.
"Our patients wear gloves, socks, underwear and earmuffs," said Kuehne.
Marian Clayton had to quit her favorite exercise due to arthritis in knees, back and shoulders. After three months coming once a week?
"I'm able to do my water aerobics, my yoga and Zumba," said Clayton
It also helped pro runner MacKenzie Hill get back to competition after a torn hamstring.
"I'd recommend this to anybody with a sports or athletic form of injury," said Dr. Andrew Pritikin, a doctor of physical therapy.
Pritikin has seen good results.
"We really want to all get that inflammatory processing going and get it moving along and getting it out. And with this cold it really does that," said Pritikin.
It's also shown to benefit eczema and psoriasis, even improve mood and fight depression.
"The cold, the body interprets that as pain," said Pritikin. "Ands so in order to counteract the pain, the body will release endorphins."
"In this kind of environment, we drop the skin temperature to 30-degrees Fahrenheit," said Pritikin.
You know that after aerobic exercise your metabolism kicks your body up into high gear -- similar principle here, where your metabolism is rising to heat your body up to 98 degrees. Which can mean burning more calories.
The cost ranges from $25 to $65 depending on sessions purchased.
education, fitness, health, food coach, lori corbin
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service 20 min ago
- 2 dead after car plows through SXSW crowd 15 min ago
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search 50 min ago
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting 24 min ago
- LA sheriff candidates faceoff in 1st debate
- Pedestrian hit, killed on I-5 in Downey area
- 2 sought for stealing purses at Bell salons
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Ex-Manson follower granted parole for 3rd time
- Malaysia plane search widens toward India 56 min ago
- abcnews: Amazon accused of cheating on free shipping
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Elderly couple's dog saved by rescue group
- OTRC: Elizabeth Olsen engaged, report says
- Pet of the Week: 3-year-old Chow mix Trixie
17 min ago