Health & Food
Scientists create embryo from 3 parents
(KABC) (KABC) -- It sounds like science fiction, but British scientists have announced they've created a human embryo from one man and two women.
Using invitro fertilization, researchers created a fertilized egg. They then removed the nucleus containing DNA from the mother and father and placed it inside a donor egg from another woman. The resulting embryo ended up having three parents, inheriting all the physical characteristics from mom and dad, but getting healthy DNA from the woman providing the donor egg.
"All we're trying to do is stop severe diseases affecting children, and that really is the driving force. We're not actually going to change the genetic code itself. We're just swapping bad for good," said Professor Patrick Chinnery from the University of Newcastle.
Scientists say the breakthrough could one day lead to the birth of babies free of certain deadly genetic diseases.
health & food
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash 2 min ago
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot 3 min ago
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Smoke detectors crucial to avoid fire deaths
- 2 targeted in attempted kidnap, sexual battery
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine'
- Ted Turner hospitalized in Argentine capital
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)