Health & Food
Brain injury study adds to Alzheimer's enigma
Why are brain injury patients more likely to get Alzheimer's? Scientists took a peek inside the brain to find out. What they found surprised them.
Italian researchers tracked the production of amyloid beta following brain injury.
This protein is notorious for causing the brain plaque in Alzheimer's. But doctors found an increase in amyloid beta meant a patient was actually recovering. It signaled increased brain activity.
The next step is to figure out why this protein turns into harmful plaque later on.
health & food, denise dador
- Vandals break in, trash church in Palmdale
- Calif. law takes effect on microstamping guns
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Deputies shoot, kill armed man during fight
- 1 arrested, 2 outstanding after VC pursuit
- IE woman punches officer, tries to take Taser
- Deputies rescue stranded Swedish family 17 min ago
- Tornadoes sweep across Kansas and Oklahoma 30 min ago
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- Beckham in tears as he bids farewell to Paris 39 min ago
- Swift to perform at Billboard Music Awards 28 min ago
- 'Star Trek' tops box office with $70.6M debut
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list