Health & Food
'Choice' single motherhood trend on the rise
They're part of one of the fastest growing demographics - when it comes to motherhood, women in their 30s and 40s are having babies without partners in their lives. They call themselves "choice moms."
Darla Rainford, Alison Morris and Michelle Brechon are three single moms by choice.
"You get to a point in your life where you don't want to wait anymore," said Rainford.
"Gee, if I turn 40, still not married, I should look into becoming a mom on my own," said Morris.
"I didn't make that choice of picking the wrong person just to get the child," said Brechon.
They're part of a growing trend of single women taking control over when and how they start families.
"To me, being a mom wasn't necessarily about being married," said Rainford.
Rainford used a sperm donor, a friend of hers, to have her son Caeden. Morris adopted her son Julian from Guatemala.
Brechon was artificially inseminated by an unknown donor to conceive Tara.
"Whether you're single or you're married, you still have the same biological urge to have a child," said Rainford.
Single parenthood, whether you choose it or not, is challenging. Studies show kids raised in single-parent homes are more likely to be depressed, turn to violence and abuse alcohol. There's also concern that these kids don't have strong male role models.
"I usually say, 'I don't have a dad.' I say, 'I have a donor,' and then they always ask, 'What's a donor?' and I say, 'It's a person who helps your mom have a baby,'" said 8-year-old Caeden.
"When I'm building stuff, I just think it might be fun to have a dad to help," said Caeden.
But these women say they found the formula for a happy family without fathers.
"It's okay that we don't have dads, because we still have a mom who loves us, and we still have someone to take care of us," said Caeden.
The "choice mom" trend is growing so quickly, there are websites, support groups and even events organized to help women with issues that come up.
pregnancy, health & food, leslie sykes
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 33 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East 50 min ago
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- CIA improperly searched network, says senator
- Japan tsunami disasters: 3rd anniversary 34 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse buys Jos. A. Bank for $1.8M 11 min ago
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- OTRC: Elisabeth Moss: Armisen marriage 'traumatic'