Health & Food
Hepatitis A alert for Jerry's Deli customers
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- An employee at Jerry's Deli in Westwood has been diagnosed with hepatitis A and there is concern the virus may have spread to customers.
The customers may have been exposed only on four dates in November: the 18th, 21st, 23rd and 24th.
Health officials are urging those who may have been exposed on those dates to take immediate action by getting an immune globulin shot or a hepatitis A vaccine.
"This alert is going out to those patrons who were at Jerry's Deli only in the Westwood side that only ate hot or cold sandwiches," said Dr. Laurene Mascola of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health.
Mascola said action has to be taken within two weeks of exposure.
The Health Department said the infected employee also worked on Nov. 12-17 but at this point it is too late for those who may have been exposed to be treated.
Hepatitis A is relatively easy to recover from, but it may be weeks before any infected customers to show the symptoms, like nausea and fever.
So far, the Health Department has not gotten any reports about exposures.
"I'm very concerned," said customer Brandon Ceballos. "I'm probably going to go get tested or something. It's freaky."
west los angeles, food, vaccination, health & food, leanne suter
- TWA Flight 800 documentary hints at cover-up 16 min ago
- West Hills murder suspect to appear in court 32 min ago
- Metro Red, Purple lines now requires TAP card 30 min ago
- Journalist Michael Hastings dies in LA crash
- Woman sought in Santa Ana Chase Bank robbery 51 min ago
- Ex-LA deputy alleges corruption in department
- Ex-USC professor on FBI wanted list arrested
- Obama renews calls for nuclear reductions
- Fed says it will maintain bond purchase pace 22 min ago
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model 22 min ago
- Natura recalls pet food after salmonella test
- Paris, Prince Jackson refute chef's testimony
- Country singer Slim Whitman dies at age 90
- OTRC: Johnny Depp talks split with Vanessa Paradis
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
24 min ago