Health & Food
Heel pain? Try stretches, orthotics, new shoes
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Two million Americans suffer from plantar fasciitis. It's one of the most common complaints people have when it comes to foot pain. But there are steps you can take to not only treat it, but prevent it.
Walking: Our feet average 115,000 miles of it in our lifetime. But with overuse feet can develop heel pain often caused by plantar fasciitis, an inflammation of the tissue on the bottom of the feet.
"Usually for the first week or two they'll write it off and say this is going to get a little bit better, they'll stretch maybe, but usually the symptoms don't go away," said sports physical therapist Christine Panagos.
Athletes and people who are either overweight or stand for long periods of time are most prone to plantar fasciitis.
Wearing old, worn-out shoes is another culprit. Make sure to replace yours every three to six months.
Early intervention includes a good balancing and stretching program.
If a stretching program doesn't help after six weeks, you may be referred to an orthotist for custom-made orthotics.
Before you spend a lot of money on pricey custom-made orthotics, experts recommend trying over-the-counter inserts first.
Another tip? Take a look at the soles of your shoes to see if there's a distinct wear pattern.
That can help a podiatrist tell whether or not you're over-pronating.
health, health & food, denise dador
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- LA Marathon: Ethiopian runners sweep race
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies 20 min ago
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- San Dimas boat crash leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- William Clay Ford, Lions owner, dies
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks