Health & Food
Study: No link between cellphones, cancer
LONDON (KABC) -- Cellphone use is not linked with cancer, according to a group of Danish researchers.
The biggest study ever to examine the possible connection between cellphones and cancer found no link between them. The study examined 358,403 cellphone users aged 30 and over in Denmark from 1990 to 2007.
Researchers said that people who used cellphones for about 10 years had pretty much the same cancer rates as those who didn't. The study was published online Thursday in the journal BMJ.
This reinforces a study by the U.S. government that came to the same conclusion.
In another study done in 2009, the International Agency for Research on Cancer also found no clear connection between cellphones and cancer.
However, it showed a hint of a possible association between very heavy phone use and glioma, a rare but often deadly form of brain tumor. However, the numbers of heavy users was not sufficient to make the case.
Despite the fact that cancer rates have not risen since cellphones were introduced, fears of a link persist.
About three-quarters of the world's population, more than 5 billion people, use a cellphone. That makes it difficult for scientists to compare cancer incidence in people who use the devices versus those who do not.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
technology, health, scientific study, health & food
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained 51 min ago
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal 13 min ago
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested 17 min ago
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)