Health & Food
UCLA study: Stem cells may aid vision in blind people
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The medical community is celebrating a breakthrough in embryonic stem cell research.
Last summer UCLA scientists injected two legally blind women with cells derived from embryonic stem cells. After four months, both women showed some improvement in reading.
One patient had the "dry" form of age-related macular degeneration, the most common cause of blindness. The other had a rare disorder known as Stargardt disease that causes serious vision loss. There's no cure for either eye problem.
After four months, both showed some improvement in reading progressively smaller letters on an eye chart.
These new results come from the first tests in humans for a vision problem. Experts said the work is still very preliminary but the implications are substantial.
"This study provides reason for encouragement, but plans to now get such a treatment would be premature," said a stem cell expert not involved in the research.
Both women remain legally blind despite their improvements.
Researchers said this test was meant to study whether the stem cell therapy was safe in people and not whether it would improve vision. UCLA scientists said they were pleased that there have been no signs of rejection or abnormal growth months after the procedure.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
ucla, medical research, health & food
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 48 min ago
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 23 min ago
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
35 min ago