Health & Food
New UCSD autism research identifies gene abnormalities
SAN DIEGO, Calif. (KABC) -- A study of child autism by the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) researchers has helped identify genetic abnormalities in a specific part of the brain.
Researchers found that the abnormalities appeared in the prefrontal cortex, a portion of the brain that is key to complex thoughts and behaviors.
"The genes that control the number of brain cells did not have the normal functional expression and the level of gene expression that governs the pattern of neural organization across the prefrontal cortex is turned down," Eric Courchesne, director of UCSD's Autism Center for Excellence, said in a news release.
According to Courchesne, who led the study, the abnormal numbers and patterns lead to too many brain cells in some locations, such as the prefrontal cortex, and not enough brain cells in other regions of the cortex.
Furthermore, only a few previous studies were able to investigate gene expression in the brains of young autism patients.
"Our results indicate that gene expression abnormalities change across the lifespan in autism," Courchesne said. "The dysregulated genetic pathways we found at young ages in autism may underlie the excess of neurons - and early brain overgrowth - associated with this disorder."
Researchers stated that the findings from this new study can help explain previous studies which found that the brains of young children with autism are larger, particularly in the prefrontal cortex.
These new findings could lead to discoveries as well as new prevention strategies and treatment for autism.
medical research, health & food
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Hollywood burglary suspects caught on camera
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Venice boardwalk crash victims recount ordeal
- East LA coach charged with molesting 2 teens
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Yellowstone supervolcano bigger than thought
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Reporter rejects Toronto mayor's apology
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- abcnews: Father, daughter recreate wedding photos
- Timberlake helps fan propose to girlfriend
- Photos: Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts at 'August' debut