Health & Food
Red Cross appeals for blood as donations wane
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- The American Red Cross is facing a nationwide blood emergency. That's why an appeal is going out for donors to replenish the supply of the life-saving fluid.
For some people, a national tragedy was the catalyst to start giving. For others, it was a personal loss.
"My friend Joey, he needed blood," said Ashley Perry, a phlebotomist with the Red Cross. "He would go into the hospital and get donations at least once a month, if not more, and those donations really helped him, and without them, he probably wouldn't have lived as long as he actually did."
But donors like her are in critical demand. Across the country, donor stations are empty and hospitals and patients are in a precarious position.
"We haven't had to cancel surgeries yet -- we have in years past," said Cliff Numark, CEO, American Red Cross Blood Services Southern California. "But we never want to get to that stage where surgeries are postponed. So literally there are minute-by-minute decisions to determine which patients are served and which ones aren't."
Southern California always has a blood shortage and relies on other regions to provide 20 percent of the blood supply. But with severe weather in parts of the country and nationwide donations falling, that supply is cut short.
On top of that, about 20 percent of the blood supply comes from high school and college students, who are currently on summer break.
"You really do save someone," said Perry. "It sounds cheesy, but it's true."
health, health & food, rudabeh shahbazi
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill 3 min ago
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well 9 min ago
- Alleged arsonist sets fire in Hollywood 59 min ago
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role