Health & Food
FDA warns antibiotic in Z-Pak capsules can cause heart problems
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Food and Drug Administration says azithromycin, a widely used antibiotic, can cause rare but deadly heart rhythms in some patients.
The antibiotic, sold under the brand names Zithromax and Zmax as Z-Pak capsules, is produced by Pfizer and is commonly used to treat bronchitis, pneumonia and other infections.
Z-Pak is more expensive than other antibiotics but is popular because it does not need to be taken for a long period of time.
FDA officials say the warning was issued after they reviewed two studies on the drug. A Vanderbilt University study found an increased risk of death from heart disease in the first five days of using a Z-Pak when compared to other common antibiotics or no antibiotics.
The warning applies mainly to people with rare heart problems called arrhythmias and also people with low blood levels of potassium and magnesium. For such patients, the risk of sudden death is roughly 1 in 4,000.
Pfizer is updating Z-Pak labels with the new FDA warning listing those conditions. However, many people don't know they have those conditions, and many ask for Z-Pak by name when they feel sick.
In order to reduce your risk, experts advise knowing your family's heart history. Physicians also say requesting antibiotics specifically is not always smart, since they only work for some infections.
fda, health, health & food
- OC school bus crash: Several injuries reported 2 min ago
- Big-rig crash shuts down 210 Fwy, Gold Line
- Protesters commemorate Armenian Genocide
- Metro votes to keep ExpressLanes program
- Willowbrook gunman kills teen at apartment
- LAPD Mid-City station shooter dies of injuries
- Oxnard teacher arrested for child annoyance
- NorCal bus crash: Mother of student sues FedEx
- Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
- Ferry death toll at 175; families outraged
- abcnews: 'SOS' message saves marooned snorkelers
- Obama: Asia-Pacific trade deal not in danger
- Olivia Wilde, Jason Sudeikis welcome baby boy
- OTRC: Beyonce on '100 Most Influential People' cover
- Compton aerial surveillance provokes backlash
14 min ago