Autism risks detailed in kids of older moms
LOS ANGELES, Calif. (KABC) -- A new study says a woman's chance of having a child with autism increases as she ages. It also says the risk may be less with older dads than previously thought.
No one knows what causes autism, but the search to find answers is yielding many more pieces to the puzzle.
In the 1990s, the number of California women giving birth over the age of 40 jumped 300-percent and the diagnosis of autism grew 600-percent.
It might appear one is responsible for the other, but the numbers don't add up the way you'd think.
"When you really look at the data that's being reported, it's really a small increase," said Dr. Larry Yin.
Dr. Yin is the medical director for the Boone Fetter Clinic at Children's Hospital L.A. It's a unique autism practice where doctors from different specialties team up to fully assess a child's situation. He says the new UC Davis study of 5 million births adds to the mounting evidence that genetics play a role.
"There may be that there are multiple causes, but today we don't really have that answer," said Dr. Yin.
So the older a woman is the higher their risk for having a child diagnosed with autism. According to the study, a woman who is 40 years old has a 50 percent greater risk than a woman who is 25.
"But when you take a look at the big picture it's really only accounts for 4 percent of children who had autism who had mothers over 40," said Dr. Yin.
But the most surprising part of the study is that a mother under 30 who has a child with a man over 40 has an even greater risk of having a child with autism than parents both over 40.
"That actually had the highest risk for having a child with autism. Why that is nobody really knows," said Dr. Yin.
So should couples consider age when they're trying to have a baby? Dr. Yin says not any more than you would for other conditions.
He says much more research has to be done before doctors can make any recommendations. The report is in the Journal Autism Research.
women's health, birth, pregnancy, healthy living, denise dador
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, man shot 48 min ago
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow 53 min ago
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- Suspect injured in El Monte police shooting
- Joseph Gatto's stolen jewelry pieces sought
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela 53 min ago
- McDonald's accidentally gives cash to couple
- Bob Dylan's guitar sells for nearly $1M
- Billy Joel to perform at the Hollywood Bowl
- OTRC: 'Scandal' season 3 will have 18 episodes
- ABC7 Eyewitness News Live Video
17 min ago