Many adults who have ADHD go undiagnosed
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Juggling work and family is a balancing act for many adults. But if you find yourself constantly anxious and unfocused, you could be one of the many adults who have ADHD but have never been diagnosed with it. Adult ADHD can affect everything from your career to your relationships.
Melody Bakeeff was at her breaking point. She was unable to focus, organize, or get through her daily to-do list.
"It just came to a point where it was like 'This should not be this hard,'" said Bakeeff.
Once she reached out for help she was diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
Studies show more than 4 percent of U.S. adults have ADHD but less than 25 percent are aware of their condition.
Untreated adults have a 300 percent higher rate of substance abuse. They also have difficulty staying employed, and maintaining relationships.
"The earlier you diagnose ADHD the better," said mental health counselor James L. West.
While 1 in every 10 kids is diagnosed with ADHD, more often than not, adults go undiagnosed. Some signs of adult ADHD are being disorganized, "zoning out" without realizing it, forgetting appointments, and having a hard time remembering details and conversations.
Bakeeff found relief through medication, and stripping sugars from her diet. Now she can focus on the important things in life.
There are some things you can do on your own to help manage symptoms of ADHD. They include exercising regularly, getting plenty of sleep, and making good use of a system that works for you. And getting outside help from a therapist can be very helpful in dealing with some of the more emotional effects of ADHD.
Do you want the Eyewitness News team to call you? Get a FREE Morning Wake-up Call and personalized weather report at abc7.com/wakeup
healthy living, michelle tuzee
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital 40 min ago
- LA Marathon: Ethiopian runners sweep race
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd 6 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic 4 min ago
- San Dimas boat crash leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 4 min ago
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert 2 min ago
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- William Clay Ford, Lions owner, dies
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks