Many adults who have ADHD go undiagnosed
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Juggling work and family is a balancing act for many adults. But if you find yourself constantly anxious and unfocused, you could be one of the many adults who have ADHD but have never been diagnosed with it. Adult ADHD can affect everything from your career to your relationships.
Melody Bakeeff was at her breaking point. She was unable to focus, organize, or get through her daily to-do list.
"It just came to a point where it was like 'This should not be this hard,'" said Bakeeff.
Once she reached out for help she was diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
Studies show more than 4 percent of U.S. adults have ADHD but less than 25 percent are aware of their condition.
Untreated adults have a 300 percent higher rate of substance abuse. They also have difficulty staying employed, and maintaining relationships.
"The earlier you diagnose ADHD the better," said mental health counselor James L. West.
While 1 in every 10 kids is diagnosed with ADHD, more often than not, adults go undiagnosed. Some signs of adult ADHD are being disorganized, "zoning out" without realizing it, forgetting appointments, and having a hard time remembering details and conversations.
Bakeeff found relief through medication, and stripping sugars from her diet. Now she can focus on the important things in life.
There are some things you can do on your own to help manage symptoms of ADHD. They include exercising regularly, getting plenty of sleep, and making good use of a system that works for you. And getting outside help from a therapist can be very helpful in dealing with some of the more emotional effects of ADHD.
Do you want the Eyewitness News team to call you? Get a FREE Morning Wake-up Call and personalized weather report at abc7.com/wakeup
healthy living, michelle tuzee
- Crews search for survivors of Okla. tornado 52 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day 27 min ago
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts on 2 girls
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
- Police impersonator halts bus in Redlands
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- LA voters to decide future of marijuana shops 6 min ago
- UC hospital workers strike over understaffing 3 min ago
- Jogger sexually assaulted in Santa Paula 35 min ago
- Former IRS chief knew little about targeting
- abcnews: Apple CEO defends offshore tax policy
- Heart rate fitness tool helps burn calories
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- OTRC: 2013 Cannes fashion: celebs don white (Poll)
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
46 min ago