Tips to alleviate dry skin discomfort
SEAL BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Skin experts say the quickest way to look younger is get more moisture into your skin. Dry skin may seem like a minor problem at first, but if you ignore it can turn into something serious.
Prevention and treatment doesn't have to be expensive.
Skin is your greatest barrier against disease. If it's dry it becomes much more vulnerable to disease.
"Some of the stuff that you're being irritated by, like soaps and harsh chemicals, will actually cause your skin to get dryer and itchier and sometimes even cause eczema," said dermatologist Dr. Shirley Chi.
The first step: stop taking long, hot showers. Short, cooler ones won't drain your skin as much. Then replenish and seal in moisture right away.
"I brought some of favorite moisturizers out to show you. I love the CeraVe. It's a moisturizing cream and you can just buy it at a drug store. It comes in a big jar, so you're not going to run out," said Chi.
"For people with very, very dry skin, I like the AmLactin," said Chi. "It has milk acid in it, otherwise known as lactic acid, which is a great exfoliator for dry skin on the body."
Chi recommends Aveeno moisturizing lotion after hand-washing and Aquaphor for chapped lips and cracked heels.
"If you have very sensitive skin, I like the Vanicream line. This line doesn't have any preservatives, dyes, lanolin, fragrance, formaldehyde-free," said Chi.
Dr. Chi says humidifiers are a must if you're running a heater.
You can also carry around your own misting spray.
"This is a La Roche-Posay Thermal Spring Water; it's about $10 and you can travel with it," said Chi.
It takes a little bit of time and effort, but the difference should be noticeable.
health, healthy living, denise dador
- Fallbrook bus crash leaves 1 dead, 22 hurt 1 min ago
- Tour bus rolls over on 15 Freeway in Corona 2 min ago
- London theater partial collapse; 80+ hurt
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note 4 min ago
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- 14 hospitalized in Riverside County bus crash
- India wants NYC arrested diplomat case dropped
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found 12 min ago
- Rodman in NKorea to prep for basketball game 59 min ago
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal 7 min ago
- Willie Nelson, Daft Punk to perform at Grammys
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis 2 min ago