Laser tool improves early cavity detection
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- What's worse? The dental drill or the metal pick? People seem to hate both When dentists pick and scrape at your teeth, they're looking for pinhole size cavities. If the tool finds a snag, then they pry a little deeper. Is there some way to eliminate this? Now, thanks to a new laser device, there is.
After the X-rays, it's time for some scraping.
When the pick or dental explorer sticks or catches on your teeth, that means: "The bacteria in that area is basically growing," said dentist Dr. Mori Rouhani.
At Dental Plus in Pasadena, Dr. Rouhani uses pain-free asers to look for cavities. The device is called DIAGNOdent. The laser penetrates and scans each tooth looking for the earliest signs of decay.
A reading over the "30" signals a cavity.
"When we catch this in the earlier stages of it, we have to remove less tooth structure," said Rouhani.
The great thing about this device is that patients can actually see where the cavity is developing and they can learn to take preventive action.
"Patients, they get motivated when they see that cavities can be taken care of so easily," said Rouhani.
Rouhani says the cost of DIAGNOdent is billed to insurance as part of the diagnostic service.
While only a handful of dental practices were using the device a few years ago, Rouhani says it's growing in popularity.
health, health care, healthy living, denise dador
- Woman attacked at OC mall parking structure
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- 12 arrested, $2.5M in drugs seized in sting
- Ex-deputy convicted in fatal bar shooting
- Bell's Rizzo to plead guilty to tax evasion
- Car slams into Ventura house; driver arrested
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense presents case
- abcnews: Ohio police chief slams Kanye West
- Klinsmann to remain as US coach through 2018
- Sitting still for hours raises blood clot risk
- Giant lobster caught in Huntington Beach
- Redmond O'Neal testifies in Fawcett art case
- OTRC: Disney Channel film to feature Belle's son
- Cool Kid visits seniors at retirement home
39 min ago
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
28 min ago