Loud noise affects hearing loss differently
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Dr. Rick Friedman with the House Ear Institute is trying to understand why loud noises affect people differently. So they're studying mice because how noise affects mice ears is very close to what happens in human ears.
"We know that there's a genetic component to noise-induced hearing loss. There are people who have been exposed to terrible noise levels who don't have hearing loss or tinnitus at all. There are others who get it out of proportion to the average," said Friedman.
Ear-ringing, or tinnitus, is one of the first signs of hearing loss. Dr. Friedman says the theory is that loud noises damage nerve fibers responsible for hearing. The brain goes into overdrive trying to make up for this loss. It's like a "phantom limb": the brain thinks it's there even though the nerves are lost. So tinnitus may be the brain making up for lost hearing.
"Hearing aids seem to be the best thing in the world for tinnitus," said Friedman. "Unfortunately some patients, they don't have enough hearing loss to warrant hearing aids, so they're in a tough position.
"It's hard to treat noise-induced hearing loss. Prevention is really the treatment," said Friedman.
Prescription custom earplugs can suppress a lot of noise or a little as necessary.
health, health care, healthy living, denise dador
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens 15 min ago
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment 45 min ago
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Venice boardwalk crash victims recount ordeal
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor 5 min ago
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the 70s 34 min ago
- Photos: Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts at 'August' debut
- Gay couple plans wedding on Rose Parade float
25 min ago