Environmental factors linked to ADHD, asthma, cancer in kids - researchers say
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Since 1980, asthma in the U.S. has increased by 75 percent. In just 11 years, diagnosis of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in kids has skyrocketed, and children's cases of cancer have doubled in the last 20 years.
Why are so many kids so sick? The cause could be all around us. Researchers from the University of California, Berkley found children with a type of leukemia, known as acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL), were twice as likely to have had three or more X-rays in their lifetime.
"Actually, the results surprised us because the dose in a normal X-ray, what we think of as a plain film X-ray, is fairly low," said Karen Bartley, a doctoral student in epidemiology at UC Berkeley.
In fact, the amount of radiation in a simple X-ray is about the same amount that passengers are exposed to in a flight across the U.S. In Fresno, Calif., one in three children has asthma, and air pollution rates remain through the roof.
A chemical found in air pollution, PAH, may be to blame. When mothers were exposed, their children had DNA changes that increased their risk of asthma. And the DNA change could impact their children's children.
"What was surprising to me in doing this research is to realize that things that happen to our grandparents can then be transmitted to their grandchildren," said Stanford School of Medicine's Kari Nadeau, M.D., Ph.D.
Another recent environmental study found children who are exposed to higher levels of organophosphate pesticides, found in trace amounts on fruits and veggies, have twice the risk of being diagnosed with ADHD.
A second report found mothers with high levels of this pesticide in their urine were more likely to have children with the disorder. Research now proving the effects of the environment may be long-lasting.
health, children's health, environment, healthy living, denise dador
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day 8 min ago
- Prosecutors shed light on Maribel Ramos murder
- Vinny Del Negro out as LA Clippers coach
- LA search-and-rescue on standby for Oklahoma
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts on 2 girls 30 min ago
- Jogger sexually assaulted in Santa Paula
- Immigration bill approved by Senate committee 50 min ago
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- abcnews: Boston bombing probe heads to Russia
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- 2013 Legacy, Outback recalled for steering issue
- New ACL surgery technique reduces failure rate
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10