Male birth control options currently being tested by researchers
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- When Natasha Stump and her husband decided they didn't want to have any more kids, Stump's husband told her a vasectomy was out of the question.
"He's a man," she said. "He didn't want any pain."
But what if there were other options?
Researchers so far have found male birth control pills to be effective for some men and not others. Side effects can include weight gain, acne, depression and possible heart problems.
Still, there are other promising forms of male contraception on the verge of getting approved. Dr. Zamip Patel, who works at a Florida hospital, says testosterone gels combined with progestin gels currently hold the most promise.
Dr. Christina Wang says the gel works much like female birth control without a lot of side effects.
An examination of sperm before applying the gel showed them as quite active. But Wang observed that after the gel was applied, the sperm were hardly moving.
Wang says affects from the gels are reversible and would take men three to six months to regain fertility.
Finally, what about a reversible vasectomy?
A procedure called RISUG takes about 15 minutes with a doctor, is effective after about three days and last for 10 or more years. It requires a one-time injection and is reversible with a second injection. RISUG is in an advanced clinical trial in India and will be widely available in the U.S. in three years.
Researchers' eyes are also on a plant-based pill from Indonesia that could offer a natural non-hormonal option.
health, healthy living, denise dador
- Nursing home shooting murder: Brother arrested 3 min ago
- Ex-con allegedly attacked 2 relatives, friend
- Santa Ana jewelry store robbery caught on cam
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year
- Kaiser Permanente missing info on 49K patients
- Man arrested in 'revenge porn' website case
- Holiday crackdown on jaywalking in downtown LA
- Asiana captain worried about visual landing 31 min ago
- House GOP signal support for budget deal
- abcnews: Woman claws way out of locked bathroom
- Nelson Mandela mourners pay last respects
- Photos: ABC7 viewers share holiday photos
- Paul Walker crash: 2nd theft suspect surrenders
- OTRC: Jason Clarke in talks for 'Terminator' reboot 18 min ago
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
20 min ago