'Camera-pill' developed for internal medicine
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- New research aims to give doctors a unique view inside the human body using a remote-controlled capsule. It's not science fiction, it's reality. This new "swimming pill" can help doctors find hard-to-treat problems.
New research aims to give doctors a unique view inside the human body using a remote-controlled capsule. It's not science fiction, it's reality. This new "swimming pill" can help doctors find hard-to-treat problems.
"This capsule can stop or move or aim at the disease lesions so that you can actually try to cure the lesion," said Noby Hata, co-inventor of the new capsule.
The capsule is designed to be swallowed like a pill. Doctors will be able to control the camera magnetically from outside using an MRI machine's magnetic signals.
Hata says the MRI works much like a GPS.
"You will see the cross-section of the body and also the little capsule in the middle and you can navigate this capsule using this map as guidance," said Hata.
So far, he's successfully tested a prototype of the capsule in a fish tank inside an MRI machine. The goal is to one day be able to deliver drugs or laser treatments directly to tumors or injuries in the digestive tract.
That's an idea that Dr. Kunal Jajoo believes could change the way colonoscopies are performed.
"It's an amazing advance to be able to steer something that small within the body and really direct it to areas that might need therapy or biopsy or the like," said Dr. Jajoo, Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.
The inventor of the capsule says since MRI machines are already in place in hospitals all over the country, once the swimming capsule is produced, it can be easily distributed without a great deal of expense.
health, healthy living, denise dador
- Fast food workers protest, want $15 an hour 59 min ago
- US teacher killed in Benghazi: officials
- The Game raises money for family of slain boy
- Motorcycle officer struck by hit-run driver
- LAPD seeing fewer qualified applicants
- LA council OKs restrictions on e-cig sellers
- UCLA police seek sexual battery suspect
- Cold snap moving across Southern California 46 min ago
- LAX shooting suspect appears in IE court
- Bratton picked as NYPD commissioner again 23 min ago
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- OTRC: Beyonce posts bikini pics, goes on vegan diet
- Oxnard nursery relieved plants didn't freeze
57 min ago
- Fugetsu-Do makes fresh, delicious mochi
35 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
18 min ago
- Ceremony honors LA's unclaimed dead
29 min ago