Older organ donors are giving new hope
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- More than 90,000 Americans are on the waiting list for a kidney. In some parts of the country, it can take up to 10 years, which means many in need may die before an organ becomes available.
To help the delay, doctors are starting to consider using organs from older donors.
"You're not too old. If you're healthy, you can donate, even if you're over 70," said Dr. Dorry Segev, an associate professor of surgery and epidemiology.
Segev recently conducted a study that found patients who received donated kidneys from people over 70 were not any more likely to die within 10 years of transplantation compared to people who received kidneys from younger donors. Also, the older donors lived longer than non-donors of the same age.
"We are realizing that if somebody is healthy, chronological age is not the same as medical age," Segev said.
However, the research shows kidneys from older donors are more likely to fail within 10 years compared to kidneys from younger donors. The doctor said they are still a better option than waiting for an organ from a deceased donor - and they could help lessen the national shortage.
"If we can bring forward more healthy older adults, then they can make a huge impact," Segev said.
Segev said older organ donations are becoming more common. He said older deceased donors may also be considered as long as their organs are healthy.
health, healthy living, denise dador
- Rizzo gets 12 years in prison for corruption 49 min ago
- Jury deadlocks in OC distracted driving case
- 290 missing, 6 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4
- 3 'pimps' busted for Compton prostitution ring 32 min ago
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles 22 min ago
- abcnews: 10 most awful jobs for 2014 revealed
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break