Older organ donors are giving new hope
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- More than 90,000 Americans are on the waiting list for a kidney. In some parts of the country, it can take up to 10 years, which means many in need may die before an organ becomes available.
To help the delay, doctors are starting to consider using organs from older donors.
"You're not too old. If you're healthy, you can donate, even if you're over 70," said Dr. Dorry Segev, an associate professor of surgery and epidemiology.
Segev recently conducted a study that found patients who received donated kidneys from people over 70 were not any more likely to die within 10 years of transplantation compared to people who received kidneys from younger donors. Also, the older donors lived longer than non-donors of the same age.
"We are realizing that if somebody is healthy, chronological age is not the same as medical age," Segev said.
However, the research shows kidneys from older donors are more likely to fail within 10 years compared to kidneys from younger donors. The doctor said they are still a better option than waiting for an organ from a deceased donor - and they could help lessen the national shortage.
"If we can bring forward more healthy older adults, then they can make a huge impact," Segev said.
Segev said older organ donations are becoming more common. He said older deceased donors may also be considered as long as their organs are healthy.
health, healthy living, denise dador
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP 58 min ago
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement 52 min ago
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- 96 animals rescued from 2 Los Angeles homes 48 min ago
- LAPD officers to wear body cameras downtown
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Big Sur fire burns 769 acres; chance of rain
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84
- 3-yr-old recovering after 5-organ transplant
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Leonardo DiCaprio, Matthew M. at 'Wolf' event