Documentary explores music's effect on Alzheimer's, dementia patients
AZUSA, Calif. (KABC) -- Music can be a powerful influence. Just think about how hard it is to get a catchy tune out of your mind. But researchers say music can also be used to unlock memories, especially for Alzheimer's patients. Alzheimer's experts are using the power of music to bring back memories that some thought were lost forever.
Music can transport you to a different time and place. Many Alzheimer's and dementia patients at Silverado Senior Living in Azusa can't remember their loved ones or what they did this morning, but in a music class they experienced a breakthrough.
Richard Cross, 82, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease two years ago. His wife Janet says he can't remember faces when she shows him wedding photos. But after music therapy, he's able to unlock memories of that important day. Listening to the sound of Hawaiian music brings him closer to his wife.
Alzheimer's patient Henry Dryer, 92, has been in a nursing home for 10 years. He sits motionless, barely speaks and has no idea who his daughter is.
But as you can see in the documentary "Alive Inside," social worker Dan Cohen gives Henry a sort of personalized playlist filled with music from his past. Almost instantly, he awakens.
Besides the amazing impact, researchers have also found that music reduces symptoms of anxiety and depression in Alzheimer's patients and improves cognitive function.
Experts in "Alive Inside" believe providing personal playlists is an inexpensive therapy all senior homes could adopt.
The staff at Silverado agrees, saying music therapy helps both patients and caregivers.
"It triggers the memories for the family members as well and they can share that memory together again."
health, healthy living, denise dador
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash 4 min ago
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s 4 min ago
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present