Weight-loss drug Qsymia now available by prescription
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Qsymia is the first new weight-loss drug available in 13 years and you can now get it by prescription. It's a combination of two medications long used in weight management -- one is an appetite suppressant, the other reduces cravings for food.
"When you add the two together you get very, very good weight loss," said Dr. Louis Aronne, New York Presbyterian Hospital.
It worked for 57-year-old Gwendolyn Barton, who'd tried just about everything to lose her extra pounds.
"I've done diet, I've done exercise, I have done Weight Watchers. And none of it has ever helped me," said Barton.
Until she tried Qsymia. In one year, as part of a clinical trial, she dropped 50 pounds.
"I went from a size 14 to a size 6. It made me feel great," said Barton.
Prescription diet drugs have had a troubled past. Meridia was withdrawn in 2010, and Fenfluramine (an ingredient in the popular drug Fen-Phen) in 1997. Both were withdrawn because of heart-valve concerns.
But doctors say Qsymia is promising. Patients lost an average of 10 percent of their body weight while on the medication.
But it isn't as easy as just popping a pill. The drug has to be used in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise.
For Gwendolyn Barton, it's all paid off.
"My blood pressure started to go down," said Barton. "I felt much better. I was able to do things with my grandkids, go to the park, just have fun."
The company that makes Qsymia, Vivus, hasn't released how much the pills will cost but most expect it to be priced in the same range as most diabetes medications.
health, diet, healthy living, denise dador
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured 9 min ago
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast 12 min ago
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Searchers cannot find object from missing jet
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
25 min ago