Menopause linked to higher brain aneurysm risk
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- They sit silently in the heads of millions of Americans. They can burst without warning. Brain aneurysms rupture in about 30,000 people every year, killing or disabling many.
Women are at a higher risk for aneurysms than men. Now, researchers are taking a closer look at how a major change in a woman's life could be to blame.
Sande Skinner thought she was having a stroke.
"The left side of my body got numb," said Skinner. "It didn't feel right."
Skinner had a giant aneurysm right behind her right optic nerve. If ruptured, brain aneurysms can lead to stroke or death. Risk factors include smoking, high blood pressure and possibly lower estrogen levels caused by menopause. Two of the largest brain aneurysm trials in the world found most happen in menopausal women.
"Average age of rupture of all patients with aneurysms is age 52, which just so happens to be the average age of menopause," said Dr. Dr. Michael Chen, a neurointerventionalist at Rush University Medical Center.
Chen says severe drops in estrogen may contribute to the weakening of artery walls. He conducted a study of 60 women with aneurysms and found, compared to the general population, they were less likely to have taken birth control or to be on hormone replacement therapy. He believes estrogen treatments could help prevent women from developing aneurysms.
"[It could] protect them from the effects of these severe changes and hormones on their blood vessels," said Chen.
The doctor is enrolling a new trial to put his theory to the test. He'll use low-dose hormone replacement therapy in premenopausal women in hopes of stopping aneurysms from forming. After three surgeries and several stents, Skinner's aneurysm is no longer a threat.
"I'm still walking and talking," said Skinner.
Chen hopes his research will help wipe out the threat for every woman.
health, medical research, healthy living, denise dador
- Search resumes for hiker in Santa Clarita 31 min ago
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 39 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- OTRC: Elisabeth Moss: Armisen marriage 'traumatic'
- LA launches campaign to shut illegal pot...
19 min ago