New thyroid biopsy test improves accuracy
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Thyroid cancer is the fastest growing cancer in the United States. Biopsies can catch the problem before it's too late, but many times the results are inconclusive. That means patients might have to have their thyroids removed even if there's no cancer. Now a new test is helping many people avoid a major surgery they do not need.
Half-a-million nodules on thyroid glands are biopsied each year and Dr. Paul Aoun says that up to 30 percent of the time, results come back inconclusive. The traditional next step for those patients has been to remove all or part of the thyroid.
"Only 25 percent end up having cancer," said Aoun, an endocrinologist.
Now, if a biopsy comes back inconclusive, doctors have a new tool to test the sample. The gene expression classifier test measures 142 gene patterns, including those present in thyroid cancer, and can reclassify nodules as benign or possibly malignant.
"That could result in saving about half the patients proceeding to unnecessary surgery," said Aoun.
A study showed the test is 94-percent accurate in re-classifying inconclusive results as benign. Another study showed the test helped reduce surgery rates by 90 percent.
Studies show incorporating the classifier test into the diagnosis process has resulted in higher quality of life for patients and less costs to the healthcare system.
health, healthy living, denise dador
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen 21 min ago
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour