Food coloring may be linked to ADHD in children
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A new study looks into the controversy over food coloring and the association it may have with ADHD in children.
The cause of ADHD is still unknown, but some 5.2 million American children have it, and there's a possible link between the disorder and food dyes.
In all, nine different artificial dyes are approved for use in the U.S. Most of the dyes are made from petroleum and their sole purpose is to make food look attractive.
New research suggests some food dyes trigger the release of histamines, which are part of the body's immune system. An experiment reported in the American Journal of Psychiatry suggest differences in genes that control histamines might explain why some children are affected and others are not.
"What you really need to know is that these chemicals are in so many different products, whether it's Cheetos or gummy bears or Kool-Aid, so it's very difficult for a child that has a normal American diet to avoid using these types of dyes," said pediatric psychiatry Dr. Daniel Bober of Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital in Florida.
A U.S. Food and Drug Administration advisory committee determined evidence of food dyes causing hyperactivity in kids was inconclusive. But the European parliament demands foods with certain dyes contain warning labels.
"What they did say is that there are some children, who if they already have ADHD, that food dyes could exasperate their symptoms," Bober said.
The color industry says the problem is not the dye. They turned down an interview, but an official was quoted as saying, "we don't see any strong compelling data at this point that there is a neurological effect."
Overseeing the safety of artificial food color was one of the reasons the FDA was founded in 1930 and has been the focus of the agency's investigations since the 1950s. The FDA said it needs more research before making any final decisions on the affects.
children's health, scientific study, food, healthy living, denise dador
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill
- S.Korea ferry crew actions were 'murderous'
- Viewing to be held for LA police officer 1 min ago
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Alleged arsonist Tased by police in Hollywood
- Compton big rig crash leaves woman dead 51 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Hyun-Jin Ryu raises money for ferry victims
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
32 min ago