New accurate app helps diagnose skin problems
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Rashes, bumps or marks on the skin could be a sign of stress or something more serious. But how would you know? Sometimes it takes weeks to get a doctor's appointment. There's a new, accurate app to figure out what might be wrong, right on your phone.
Dr. Noah Craft, a lead researcher at LA BioMed, helped develop VisualDx. It contains pictures and information on about 1,300 different skin diseases.
"Back then the idea was to put ideas into computers to help doctors make decisions and really empower them in an electronic way," said Craft.
Twenty to 30 percent of medical diagnoses are incorrect; 80,000 to 100,000 people a year die from diagnostic errors. Doctors say apps like VisualDx can improve accuracy.
"We tested 50 different doctors using this [the VisualDx app], or just their brains and a pile of books," said Craft. "And it was about 120 percent more accurate than just using books.
"It's being used by about half the medical schools now, and it's in about 1,500 hospitals," said Craft.
Marks on the skin can actually be signs of serious heart or autoimmune disorders. So the VisualDx technology can be a lifesaver.
"Having the best tools possible when you go see your doctor or before you see your doctor, is really important to help doctors and help patients make those diagnoses more accurately," said Craft.
health, healthy living, denise dador
- Santa Ana jewelry store robbery caught on cam
- Nelson Mandela mourners pay last respects
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year
- Auto thefts up in CA after realignment -study
- Man arrested in 'revenge porn' website case
- FBI arrest several alleged MS-13 gang members
- UC Riverside employee diagnosed w/ meningitis
- LA supervisors criticize Baca amid jail probe
- Bell moving forward after Spaccia conviction
- Budget deal: Liberals, conservatives grumbling 48 min ago
- abcnews: Woman claws way out of locked bathroom
- Paul Walker crash: 2nd theft suspect surrenders 31 min ago
- US Navy sailor surprises family on ABC comedy
- OTRC: Demi Lovato's cocaine, alcohol confessions
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
54 min ago