New accurate app helps diagnose skin problems
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Rashes, bumps or marks on the skin could be a sign of stress or something more serious. But how would you know? Sometimes it takes weeks to get a doctor's appointment. There's a new, accurate app to figure out what might be wrong, right on your phone.
Dr. Noah Craft, a lead researcher at LA BioMed, helped develop VisualDx. It contains pictures and information on about 1,300 different skin diseases.
"Back then the idea was to put ideas into computers to help doctors make decisions and really empower them in an electronic way," said Craft.
Twenty to 30 percent of medical diagnoses are incorrect; 80,000 to 100,000 people a year die from diagnostic errors. Doctors say apps like VisualDx can improve accuracy.
"We tested 50 different doctors using this [the VisualDx app], or just their brains and a pile of books," said Craft. "And it was about 120 percent more accurate than just using books.
"It's being used by about half the medical schools now, and it's in about 1,500 hospitals," said Craft.
Marks on the skin can actually be signs of serious heart or autoimmune disorders. So the VisualDx technology can be a lifesaver.
"Having the best tools possible when you go see your doctor or before you see your doctor, is really important to help doctors and help patients make those diagnoses more accurately," said Craft.
health, healthy living, denise dador
- Tornado rips through Oklahoma City suburbs 6 min ago
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Greuel, Garcetti make final stops across LA
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay
- Laguna Beach sex assault suspect surrenders
- Man's body found in vacant apartment in IE
- Man shot, killed in Victorville; 1 arrested
- Hollywood High honored for musical theater
- Girl, 10, fatally shot inside NorCal home
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff
- 2 killed in Turkey hot air balloon crash
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches 4 min ago
- Taylor Swift wins big at Billboard Awards
- Photos: Best moments at Billboard Awards 2013