How long do you want to live? 7 tips for living a longer life
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- We exercise, we eat right in the hopes of staying healthy for as long as possible. How long do you want to live?
Doctors give the top seven things we need start doing now if you want to live long.
Ditch the cigarettes. Lighting up kills just under half a million people in the United States each year.
"That's more than the auto accidents, that's more than HIV, that's more than all the murders, combined," said Dr. Jan Garavaglia, a medical examiner.
New research shows women who stop smoking before 40 live a decade longer than those who keep puffing.
Also, pour yourself some wine. Moderate drinkers slash their risk of heart disease by up to 40 percent.
And do your own housework. A recent study found 150 calories' worth of chores a day can lower high blood pressure by 13 points for eight hours.
A 30-minute nap can reduce heart mortality by 37 percent.
Purdue University scientists found constant worrying shortens your lifespan by about 16 years.
Maintain a healthy waistline. "Measure your waistline around where the navel is," said cardiologist Dr. Holly Andersen.
That number should be less than half your height. So if you're 5 feet 2 inches tall, your waist should be less than 31 inches.
Go ahead and laugh: Comedy helps lengthen your life. University of Maryland scientists found watching 15 minutes of funny videos can improve blood flow to your heart by 50 percent.
One last tip: If you want increase your life expectancy, stand up as often as you can. One Canadian researcher found cutting the amount of time you sit can lower your risk of prostate cancer by 10 percent, lung cancer by 20 percent, and colon cancer by 30 percent.
health, medical research, fitness, healthy living, denise dador
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service
- 2 dead after car plows through SXSW crowd
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- LA sheriff candidates faceoff in 1st debate 20 min ago
- Pedestrian hit, killed on I-5 in Downey area
- 2 sought for stealing purses at Bell salons
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Ex-Manson follower granted parole for 3rd time 46 min ago
- Malaysia plane search widens into Andaman Sea
- abcnews: Amazon accused of cheating on free shipping
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: Elizabeth Olsen engaged, report says