Benefits of vitamin D with calcium supplements studied
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Doctors have long recommended vitamin D along with calcium to help prevent bone fractures. However, recent studies have questioned vitamin D's benefits for healthy women. With sales of vitamin D at an all-time high, Consumer Reports put vitamin D to the test.
Consumer Reports analyzed 32 vitamin D supplements, including 12 vitamin D and calcium combinations.
The good news: Testers found they all contained at least as much vitamin D as their labels claimed and were within the safe maximum limit set by the Institute of Medicine. And they all met federal safety standards.
But analysis of some supplements raised a red flag.
"Our lab tests found lead levels in nine of the vitamin D plus calcium supplements that exceeded a strict California limit for reproductive risk," said Jamie Kopf, Consumer Reports.
California law requires that these be labeled, but they weren't.
Consumer Reports also found prices varied widely. Trader Joe's vitamin D softgels were the best deal at just 3 cents per capsule. Sundown Naturals liquid-filled calcium plus vitamin D softgels cost 8 cents each.
Consumer Reports medical experts examined the evidence about whether people need extra vitamin D.
"You probably don't need a supplement if you get some midday sun during the warmer months," said Dr. John Santa, Consumer Reports. "But if you have osteoporosis or a gastrointestinal condition that limits absorption, your doctor may recommend a vitamin D supplement."
If you do opt for vitamin D, take care to stay within the recommended amounts. Too much can put you at risk for kidney damage.
A government advisory group recently recommended that healthy women past menopause need not take daily vitamin D and calcium supplements at low doses to prevent fractures. As for the benefits of taking it at higher doses, the group said more research is needed.
health, medical research, consumer reports, healthy living, denise dador
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Tustin theater evacuated for investigation
- Burbank stabbing leaves 2 in serious condition
- High-speed chase leads to arrests, 5 injuries
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report