Benefits, risks of surgery to get toned arms
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- From the red carpet to the White House, bare beautiful arms are a sought after accessory. It's no wonder arm-lift surgery in women has sky-rocketed to an increase of more than 4,000 percent.
Board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Gordon Sasaki says he's seen a huge increase in his own practice. Besides women coveting celebrity arms, he also credits the meteoric increase to the rise in weight-loss surgery.
"I think with bariatric surgery, one is removing the fat, but one is not removing the skin," Sasaki said.
One method for an arm lift, or brachioplasty, requires an incision from the armpit to the elbow to remove excess skin and fat. This often leaves a scar, but Sasaki says an experienced surgeon can minimize that.
"Today, we have so many ways of anchoring tissues, whether it's by special sutures, so that we do not get the scar to become widened or thickened," he said.
But if a patient's skin has enough elasticity, Sasaki says they may be a candidate for a less invasive procedure like liposuction.
"Taking out the volume but allowing the skin to accommodate," Sasaki said.
Another option is an axillary resection: Loose skin and fat is removed through a smaller incision in the underarm.
"It is up to the surgeon and the patient to decide what is best for the patient," Sasaki said.
Besides the potential for scarring, Sasaki says there are other side effects that patients need to be aware of.
"There can be problems with what we call scar contracture, where things start to shorten, and the patient has a difficult time raising their arms, and there is a possibility of damage to deeper structures, such as the nerves and the vessels," Sasaki said.
Sasaki says it's rare to run into these problems with an experienced doctor. The average cost is about $4,500 for both arms. Experts suggest looking for someone who is board certified and has good referrals. And ask a lot of questions.
women's health, healthy living, denise dador
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 34 min ago
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute 31 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Phil Robertson fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future 36 min ago