Weight-loss procedures: Which is best?
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie says he's got a lot of work ahead of him as he revealed that he underwent lap band surgery in February.
Through small incisions in the abdomen, Lap-Band surgeons use thin surgical instruments to reduce the size of the stomach.
Bariatric surgeon Dr. Philippe Quilici says there are other weight loss procedures used besides the Lap-Band, like gastric bypass, which involves cutting the stomach into smaller pouches and then rerouting the digestive tract. In another procedure, the gastric sleeve, surgeons remove about 80 percent of the stomach.
"Those are three great options. They work well and they fit different patient profiles," Quilici said.
Who's a good candidate? Doctors say people with a BMI of 35 and above. But it's also indicated in less obese patients who have chronic conditions, like diabetes.
"The advice I got was that the band surgery would be the most effective thing for me to do," Christie said.
Christie also said he tried other ways to lose weight before opting for Lap-Band.
The Lap-Band has the fewest complications and is minimally invasive. It can be done the same days as an outpatient procedure, but it does have a higher failure rate at 30 percent and other disadvantages.
"Patients has to been seen almost every six weeks for the next 12 to 18 months, you have to be adjusted. And it is not as aggressive as a gastric bypass," Quilici said.
Quilici notes that it won't work if patients don't eat sensibly and exercise.
health, healthy living, denise dador
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital 42 min ago
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist 9 min ago
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'