New device helps alleviate neuropathy pain
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- About 20 million people in the United States, including more than half of all diabetics, suffer from neuropathy. It can cause weakness, numbness and pain in hands and feet. Now a new therapy is helping people get back on their feet.
For some it's like electricity or pins and needles. Others feel like their feet are on fire.
"It's incredible: most patients start to see results literally with the first treatment," said Dr. Marc Ott, a chiropractic physician.
Dr. Ott says the new treatment for feet and hands centers around an electric stimulator called the ReBuilder. It measures how a person's nerves are abnormally firing, then sends an electrical frequency to get the nerve back into a normal firing pattern.
"So for each patient the way that the unit actually fires is different," said Ott. "It builds a pattern that's specific to you."
The therapy includes exercises on a vibrating platform to help restore balance and neurological control.
"It's pretty astonishing to watch the results that these patients experience and the lifestyle changes that it makes for them," said Ott.
A home unit may help reduce the pain even more.
Dr. Ott says almost all of his patients see a change with the therapy. He says the degree of improvement depends on the individual. The ReBuilder treatment is available across the country. It is covered by Medicare and most insurance plans.
health, healthy living, denise dador
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies 5 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15 57 min ago
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- Female pedestrian struck, killed in Riverside
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- abcnews: Conjoined twins see sunlight for 1st time
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Toddler found playing inside toy claw machine
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Will Arnett files for divorce from Poehler