Cognitive exercises help with age-related memory issues -study
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- As the U.S. population ages, experts predict Alzheimer's disease will skyrocket. Forgetting things like names and numbers are often the first signs. And while cognitive decline is a natural part of aging, some experts say you may be able to stop or even reverse it.
To keep your brain sharp, experts tell us to learn a new language or do something like crossword puzzles. But a new government-funded study adds to growing research that playing cognitive computer games can slow and even reverse age-related memory issues.
Remembering faces, names or where you put your keys are struggles for people with mild cognitive impairment.
One woman, who's embarrassed about her condition and didn't want to be identified, is in the first stages of Alzheimer's. She took part in a study that tested whether cognitive rehabilitation can improve memory.
"If I had three words, I wouldn't be able to remember those three words. It would confuse me," she said.
In one exercise, a therapist asked a series of questions to help the patient learn where an object is placed. Other exercises focused on matching a facial feature with a person's name.
"You could do the bushy facial hair, and 'Bushy Ben' would be an example of that," said Benjamin M. Hampstead, a clinical neuropsychologist.
For one study, patients received three training sessions and had two MRI scans. After the cognitive rehab, certain areas of their brains were much more active.
"So their brains remain plastic. They're capable of learning these new techniques," said Hampstead.
Up to 20 percent of people 65 and older have mild cognitive impairment. Between one-third and two-thirds will go on to develop dementia or Alzheimer's. But Hampstead says starting therapy earlier can make a difference.
"Hopefully, we'll be able to prolong their functioning for as long as possible," said Hampstead.
health, healthy living, denise dador
- NKorea deports captive American war veteran
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot
- Ex-detective arrested for tipping off gang
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material
- Smartphone apps for a better night's sleep
- Long Beach motorcycle show offers demo rides
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting
- OTRC: Grammys 2014 - list of nominees