Valentine cards brighten up day for kids at Children's Hospital LA
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- On this day of sharing love, we've got a big thank you from all the patients, volunteers and staff at Children's Hospital Los Angeles for all your beautiful cards and uplifting messages. It means so much for to the kids who just can't be home or with their friends on Valentine's Day.
Cody Esphorst, 11, spends most of his holidays in the hospital. He suffers from a rare condition where he's had 3,000 polyps taken out and has battled through two bouts of cancer.
"He's had his colon removed, intestinal blockages, you name it. As you can see though, he's always got a smile on his face," said Jesse Ephorst of Torrance.
Cody was happy to receive a bag of full of Valentine's wishes from people he's never met.
"We've got three other kids at home and to have people show that they care, it really means a lot," said Jesse.
Hospital volunteers got a little extra help delivering the sweet wishes from our own Alysha Del Valle and Bri Winkler. Thanks to Eyewitness News viewers, Children's Hospital received more than 30,000 customized cards, which they also distributed to 35 clinics throughout Southern California.
"You can hear the delight that comes from them when they see that other people outside these walls care about them too," said Wendi Kellaris, manager of volunteer resources at Children's Hospital Los Angeles. "All of these things help with becoming well again."
It's not just the patients who are feeling the love, all the good wishes and sweet sentiments are lifting up the spirits of all the people who have to work closely with these patients.
"It's really a special place. You see a lot of love. You can't help but get caught up with that," said Kellaris.
valentine's day, children's health, healthy living, denise dador
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital
- LA Marathon: Ethiopian runners sweep race
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- San Dimas boat crash leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 24 min ago
- Los Angeles Marathon 2014 street closures
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- William Clay Ford, Lions owner, dies
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks