Nia Vardalos back to Greece for new film
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Nia Vardalos heads back to Greece for her new romantic comedy, My Life in Ruins. She stopped by ABC7 in Los Angeles to talk with entertainment reporter George Pennacchio about her movie, her co-star, and her biggest role to date -- being a mom.
In "My Life in Ruins," Nia plays a woman who has lost her mojo and finds herself working as a tour guide in Greece.
- Video: Nia Vardalos back to Greece for new film
- Blog: More entertainment at OnTheRedCarpet.com
- More: Most Popular stories, videos and more
- More: Get breaking news alerts
Nia promises this is a great date movie.
"It's the highest-testing movie in FOX Searchlight history, and that made me so happy," said Nia. "Because, you know, this is a dream of mine to get this movie made. We were the first people ever to be allowed to shoot at the Parthenon and at the original Olympic grounds, and also at Delphi. And the fact that men and women liked the movie equally makes me really happy."
Nia is also happy about bringing her Greek leading man, Alexi Georgoulis, into the American movie spotlight.
"Or as well call him, Alex Gorgeous," Nia said. "He's a huge star in Greece. He's the George Clooney of Greece, and he's so sexy."
Also featured in the film are Nia's longtime comedy pals, Rachel Dratch and Harland Williams.
Nia is currently playing a new role in real life. She and her husband recently went through American foster care and adopted a toddler. So what does it feel like to hear a child call her mom?
"It's a completion for me. It's really the best feeling I've ever known," said Nia. "And you know, the incredible thing that happened to me is I got nominated for an Oscar. You think that that would be the icing on the cake, but no, no. It's when she wakes up in the morning and she has a voice - she sounds likes she drank a case of Jack Daniels - she's like, 'Hi mommy.' She's so cool."
My Life in Ruins opens Friday, and later this summer Nia will reunite with her My Big Fat Greek Wedding co-star John Corbett in I Hate Valentine's Day. It's also her directorial debut.
hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures peds 24 min ago
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- 289 missing, 7 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster 42 min ago
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident 48 min ago
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Kansas Jewish center reopens after shooting 25 min ago
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break