Dolores Hope celebrates her 100th
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- "Happy Birthday" to a familiar face. In a celebration many decades in the making, Dolores Hope turned 100 years old Wednesday.
On Wednesday evening, about 200 people helped celebrate her centennial. One hundred balloons carrying 100 messages were released, all in honor of one 100-year-old woman. Dolores also received birthday greetings from the city of Los Angeles and President Barack Obama.
- Video: Dolores Hope celebrates her 100th
- Blog: More entertainment at OnTheRedCarpet.com
- More: Most Popular stories, videos and more
- More: Get breaking news alerts
The Hope Estate was decorated with kiosks representing every decade of Dolores's long life. That she is now 100 years old and her late husband, comedian Bob Hope, also reached that milestone, is an incredible feat.
When asked what her mother would say the secret was to living to 100, daughter Linda Hope replied, "Laugh a lot. Laughter is something that's been part of our lives, and I have to think that is a large part responsible for their happiness and for their long lives."
"I think of her as love," said son Kelly Hope. "I think of her as a singer. I think of her with her religion which is -- her faith is so strong, and I think that's what's really sustained her."
Dolores met her husband in 1933 during her New York nightclub days. It would take her another 50 years to record her first album. She's now made four solo albums, and she has volumes of material about life.
"She said, 'This is fine to have this, but you don't need it,'" said grandson Zachary Hope, pointing to his head. "You don't need it. This is not the most important thing. This is the most important thing," he continued, gesturing to his heart.
And that needs a special cake layered with a life well led.
hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Michael Hastings, BuzzFeed reporter, dies
- Ex-LA deputy alleges corruption in department
- Winkler removed from Saugus school board
- Video released in attack of transgender woman
- Prostitution bust at OC hotel - exclusive
- MTA bus drivers claim illness from pesticide
- Ex-USC professor on FBI wanted list arrested
- 1,500 evacuated in wildfire near Yosemite
- NSA surveillance has saved lives - Obama 31 min ago
- abcnews: TWA 800 crash not accident - investigators
- Chrysler agrees to Jeep recall over fire risk
- Heat beat Spurs 103-100, force Game 7
- Michael Jackson's personal chef testifies
- OTRC: Lil Wayne talks on American flag controversy