Unknowns rule at Hollywood festival
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A fun film festival that celebrates the independent world is getting underway today. "Dances with Films" showcases the work of people you might not have heard of yet.
The hope is that someone in Hollywood will see their hard work and a star could be born.
- Video: Unknowns rule at Hollywood festival
- Blog: More entertainment at OnTheRedCarpet.com
- More: Most Popular stories, videos and more
- More: Get breaking news alerts
Festival rules require that all competition films have no "known" actors, directors, writers or producers.
"They put filmmakers first, all about the art rather than business, and we appreciate that," said Paul DeNigris, the director of "Cowboy Dreams." "They can create this environment for the love of film as a little bubble inside LA."
This is the festival's 12th year, and features nearly 100 films, including documentaries, dramas, comedies, features, and short films. They'll all be screened at the Laemmle Sunset Five in West Hollywood. The festival runs tonight through June 11th.
hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Ambulance crash: 3 injured in Signal Hill 24 min ago
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- Alleged arsonist sets fire in Hollywood 22 min ago
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role