Unknowns rule at Hollywood festival
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A fun film festival that celebrates the independent world is getting underway today. "Dances with Films" showcases the work of people you might not have heard of yet.
The hope is that someone in Hollywood will see their hard work and a star could be born.
- Video: Unknowns rule at Hollywood festival
- Blog: More entertainment at OnTheRedCarpet.com
- More: Most Popular stories, videos and more
- More: Get breaking news alerts
Festival rules require that all competition films have no "known" actors, directors, writers or producers.
"They put filmmakers first, all about the art rather than business, and we appreciate that," said Paul DeNigris, the director of "Cowboy Dreams." "They can create this environment for the love of film as a little bubble inside LA."
This is the festival's 12th year, and features nearly 100 films, including documentaries, dramas, comedies, features, and short films. They'll all be screened at the Laemmle Sunset Five in West Hollywood. The festival runs tonight through June 11th.
hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- TWA Flight 800 documentary hints at cover-up
- West Hills murder suspect to appear in court
- Metro Red, Purple lines now requires TAP card
- Journalist Michael Hastings dies in LA crash
- 3.1-magnitude earthquake jolts Inland Empire
- Woman sought in Santa Ana Chase Bank robbery
- Ex-LA deputy alleges corruption in department
- Ex-USC professor on FBI wanted list arrested
- Fed says it will maintain bond purchase pace
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model
- Natura recalls pet food after salmonella test
- Paris, Prince Jackson refute chef's testimony
- James Franco seeks $500K to bankroll movies 45 min ago
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video)