Regis vs. George: Who wants whose job?
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- He's the man who hopes to introduce us to as many new millionaires as possible. Regis Philbin is back asking the tough questions on "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire." But his toughest questions were for me.
"Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" returns this week to celebrate the game show's 10th anniversary. And of course, it wouldn't be a party without original host, Regis Philbin.
- Video: Regis Philbin vs. George Pennacchio
- Blog: More entertainment at OnTheRedCarpet.com
- More: Most Popular stories, videos and more
- More: Get breaking news alerts
Regis says he didn't think twice about stepping back into "Millionaire's" theater in the round.
"They didn't have to coax me back," said Regis. "I love this show, love doing it."
It also helped that this year's Oscar-winning Best Picture helped boost the show's profile.
"I think 'Slumdog Millionaire' had a little bit to do with it," said Regis. "When you saw that, I was all charged up. For the first time I was looking at it as a part of the audience."
And while I hoped to talk to Regis a bit more about both "Millionaire" and "Live! With Regis and Kelly," I had to just follow his lead and hang on.
When I asked Regis if he would be willing to do more shows if the series did well, he was quick to respond.
"You know, there's a guy in L.A.... Forget about him. I'll do it some more," Regis laughed. "You've always wanted my job -- got it now at Channel 7, still not satisfied. The Pennacchio wants more."
Regis then joked that I was just waiting for an opening.
"Honest to god, you won't leave me alone," Regis said. "You come in [and ask], 'How's he feeling? How does he look?' How long can you wait, Pennacchio?"
Regis thinks I want his job, but, apparently I'm the one who should be looking over my shoulder.
"You have your Channel 7 pin. I still have mine in my desk in New York -- yeah," Regis mock threatened.
"Wait a minute," I replied. "You're saving your Channel 7 pin because if you ever leave 'Regis and Kelly,' you're going to come after my job?"
"I may want to come back in the sunshine, why not," asked Regis. "Why can't Regis go home again?"
Regis can't, because this job is taken.
hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Search widens for missing Malaysian jet
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- IE suspect found after escaping from police
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants