'Ultimate Wave Tahiti' splashes into theaters
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- There's a new movie hoping to make a splash in theaters this weekend. "The Ultimate Wave Tahiti" takes moviegoers on a surfing adventure with world champion Kelly Slater.
Kelly Slater is a nine-time world champion surfer. And now he's riding the waves on the IMAX screen in 3D, exclusively at the California Science Center.
Slater is part of "The Ultimate Wave Tahiti," a film that showcases the amazing nature of waves and the science behind them.
"To educate people about surfing is good. For me, the more that I can learn about how waves are created helps me to predict where I'm going to surf," said Slater.
A famed Tahitian waterman, who seems to know when the waves are coming, helps Slater in his quest to ride that perfect wave. For him, the ocean is second nature.
"We are surrounded by oceans so we better learn about swimming," said Raimana Van Bastolaer. "Somebody who lives in the middle of a mountain knows how the mountain works. So for us it is really important to know about the water."
Learning is one major part of this movie and in 3D you'll see how a wave comes to life. It's science and nature. It is surfing and exploring, and its aim is to be exciting too.
"I want kids to take away the fact that surfing is fun. I want them to learn something about the ocean, something about the reefs," said Slater. "I want them to learn the way waves break, and what to look for if they're going to go surf.
And if they're not they can at least feel a wave in 3D.
celebrity, movie news, surf, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood 41 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Crimean, Russian politicians talk referendum 54 min ago
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus' Twitter jabs at Katy Perry