'Ultimate Wave Tahiti' splashes into theaters
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- There's a new movie hoping to make a splash in theaters this weekend. "The Ultimate Wave Tahiti" takes moviegoers on a surfing adventure with world champion Kelly Slater.
Kelly Slater is a nine-time world champion surfer. And now he's riding the waves on the IMAX screen in 3D, exclusively at the California Science Center.
Slater is part of "The Ultimate Wave Tahiti," a film that showcases the amazing nature of waves and the science behind them.
"To educate people about surfing is good. For me, the more that I can learn about how waves are created helps me to predict where I'm going to surf," said Slater.
A famed Tahitian waterman, who seems to know when the waves are coming, helps Slater in his quest to ride that perfect wave. For him, the ocean is second nature.
"We are surrounded by oceans so we better learn about swimming," said Raimana Van Bastolaer. "Somebody who lives in the middle of a mountain knows how the mountain works. So for us it is really important to know about the water."
Learning is one major part of this movie and in 3D you'll see how a wave comes to life. It's science and nature. It is surfing and exploring, and its aim is to be exciting too.
"I want kids to take away the fact that surfing is fun. I want them to learn something about the ocean, something about the reefs," said Slater. "I want them to learn the way waves break, and what to look for if they're going to go surf.
And if they're not they can at least feel a wave in 3D.
celebrity, movie news, surf, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money 53 min ago
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 15 min ago
- Fontana suspect escapes from police station 16 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe 14 min ago
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed 55 min ago
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...