Neil Patrick Harris directs 'Rent' at Bowl
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- One of Broadway's most successful musicals is coming to town, but with a new look. "Rent" will be leasing out the Hollywood Bowl for a three night visit this weekend.
In a church compound not far from the Hollywood Bowl rehearsals are underway to bring "Rent" alive under Hollywood's night sky.
Neil Patrick Harris, who's actually starred on stage in "Rent," is directing the new version.
"I think that there's a lot of surprises that people will be in store for with ten extra people in the cast," said Harris. "I got to play around a little bit more. But it's a great piece and it speaks for itself."
And on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights it will speak to thousands of people who make their way to the Hollywood Bowl.
"We got to the Bowl yesterday for the very first time and just looking out at the seats that is there -- it's crazy. I had no idea," said actress Vanessa Hudgens.
"Performing it to such a big group of people definitely feels like a big responsibility, but it's kind of exciting," said actor Skylar Astin.
"It was just something I fully wanted to do for my soul, you know what I mean? For no other reason than to just do it, to be a part of it," said actor Aaron Tveit.
Tracie Thoms has been a part of "Rent" in one way or another since 1997. And she's seen one constant.
"Everyone just welcomes everybody with open arms and everybody's incredible," said Thoms. "I mean Wayne Brady? Are you kidding me?"
"It's changed my life. It's changed now how I'm going to go about choosing other things because now I'm hungry," said Brady.
"It's a little scary, but I'm having a great time with it," said singer Nicole Scherzinger.
"Rent" will take occupancy at the Hollywood Bowl this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. Tickets are still available.
music news, hollywood, hollywood bowl, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre