L.A. middle school gets Disney makeover
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- There is a lot of excitement at the John Burroughs Middle School in Hancock Park for the filming of a new Disney teen movie called "Prom."
It plays the part of a high school. John Burroughs opened in 1924, and now it has a facelift, thanks to Disney.
The front facade was restored to its original grandeur, with a fresh coat of paint, along with some stone and brick work. It was all approved by the Hancock Park Historical Society.
The movie's director says the school spoke to him.
"Its beauty speaks for itself," Joe Nussbaum said. "The outside is unique, the inside is beautiful. The architecture, colors, was exactly the look we were going for and it feels good to make it even prettier."
"It's a small, but concrete example of how it can be good for L.A. to shoot for communities," said producer Justin Springer. "I think movie productions get a bad rap, but we came here and saw the facade of the school and knew immediately this was the look for our school in this movie because it had such a history."
"I want to say we have worked in collaboration and this is the wonderful thing that can happen when we all work together as a family to provide best for students and the community," said the school's principal, Dr. Steve Martinez.
Disney is the parent company of ABC7.
hollywood, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found 15 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street 37 min ago
- Lancaster fight leads to double stabbing
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere