Radcliffe transitions away from 'Potter' in new horror film
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Daniel Radcliffe is hoping to scare the daylights out of moviegoers with his new movie, "The Woman in Black."
"This is a film that will definitely frighten people and get people jumping out of their seats," Radcliffe said.
The young man who played "Harry Potter" for ten years feels that while those films did have scary moments, the chills in this one are on an entirely different level.
"All the scary stuff in 'Potter' came from some quite big or heightened moments, whereas a lot of this film can feel quite real," he said. "So the psychological element is such so that if you have young kids, or kids under 12, I would really not take them because you will have a lot sleepless nights after seeing this movie."
The 22-year-old actor said this film should help him transition away from all things "Potter" and into more adult roles. He started down that road several years ago with his work on the stage.
"The value of doing 'Equus,' the play in both London and New York, is that it made people sit up and go, 'Oh, he wants to do something different, he's serious about this, he doesn't want to rest on his laurels and he's willing to take risks,'" Radcliffe said.
Radcliffe has a couple fellow "Potter" alums he sees as risk-taking role models.
"I look at actors' careers like Gary Oldman, or Alan Rickman, and people I've worked with, and there's such diversity in their work, it's very inspirational," the actor said.
That admiration carries over this Oscar season, as Radcliffe roots for his nominated friend, Gary Oldman.
"That's what I really wanna see happen is Gary up there getting an Oscar. That would be amazing," he said.
"The Woman in Black" is rated PG-13 and is in theaters now.
movie news, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash 12 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- Cat rescued from 91 Fwy divider in Riverside 3 min ago
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Obama to preserve California federal lands 29 min ago
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video