LA Inner City Mass Choir gets ready for weekend benefit concert
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Los Angeles Inner City Mass Choir is busy rehearsing for a cause. This weekend, they'll be helping to raise money for the Kierrah Foundation, which helps young women who age out of the foster care system but still need some assistance.
"They have no support, little to no support. And this concert actually, we're coming together to raise awareness and to raise funds for that organization," said choir director Tim McAfee Lewis.
The show, which will be at the Agape International Spiritual Center in Culver City, is called "The Gospel According to Tim McAfee Lewis."
Singer Sabrina Johnson, who worked with Whitney Houston, will perform "I Love the Lord," the same song Houston sang in the movie "The Preacher's Wife."
"She said to always sing from your soul, sing what you believe and if you follow what God has given you to do, it will always take you where you really want to go," said Johnson. "She was an angel. I mean, listen to the voice that God gave her. That is nothing but an angel."
The kids in the choir look forward to singing all the music in the show, but they do appreciate getting to honor the memory of a superstar.
"I really loved Whitney Houston and then when I heard she passed, it kind of shocked me," said Antoine Hill, a member of the Los Angeles Inner City Mass Choir.
"She leaves behind her soul because her soul can always come back and touch our hearts," said choir member Zariah Watson.
For more information on Sunday's benefit, visit the Kierrah Foundation's website.
music news, theater news, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 46 min ago
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute 3 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Phil Robertson fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future 48 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
7 min ago