LA Inner City Mass Choir gets ready for weekend benefit concert
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Los Angeles Inner City Mass Choir is busy rehearsing for a cause. This weekend, they'll be helping to raise money for the Kierrah Foundation, which helps young women who age out of the foster care system but still need some assistance.
"They have no support, little to no support. And this concert actually, we're coming together to raise awareness and to raise funds for that organization," said choir director Tim McAfee Lewis.
The show, which will be at the Agape International Spiritual Center in Culver City, is called "The Gospel According to Tim McAfee Lewis."
Singer Sabrina Johnson, who worked with Whitney Houston, will perform "I Love the Lord," the same song Houston sang in the movie "The Preacher's Wife."
"She said to always sing from your soul, sing what you believe and if you follow what God has given you to do, it will always take you where you really want to go," said Johnson. "She was an angel. I mean, listen to the voice that God gave her. That is nothing but an angel."
The kids in the choir look forward to singing all the music in the show, but they do appreciate getting to honor the memory of a superstar.
"I really loved Whitney Houston and then when I heard she passed, it kind of shocked me," said Antoine Hill, a member of the Los Angeles Inner City Mass Choir.
"She leaves behind her soul because her soul can always come back and touch our hearts," said choir member Zariah Watson.
For more information on Sunday's benefit, visit the Kierrah Foundation's website.
music news, theater news, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Body found in canyon ID'd as Maribel Ramos
- Castaic-area brush fire nears containment 3 min ago
- Toddler, mom robbed by knife-wielding man
- CA task force aims to control gun ownership
- 'Sexting' case at IE schools nets teen arrest
- Suspect shot, hurt after aiming gun at police
- Hacienda Heights soldier killed on 1st Iraq tour
- Greuel, Garcetti vie for last-minute votes
- Plane lands on belly after having gear issues 44 min ago
- OJ Simpson knew buddies had guns - ex-lawyer
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- abcnews: Flesh-eating bacteria survivor's bionic hands
- Michael Jackson death trial attorneys clash 6 min ago
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list