George Clooney, Alexander Payne talk Oscar nods
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- George Clooney and Alexander Payne have five Oscar nominations between them this year.
Clooney's performance in "The Descendants" landed him in Oscar's best actor race. He won the award, in the supporting category, back in 2006 for "Syriana."
Payne will walk into the Academy Awards a triple-threat with nominations for directing, co-producing and co-writing the film. He's also won before, in 2005, for writing "Sideways."
When it comes to the writing category, one of his competitors will be Clooney, who co-wrote "The Ides of March."
In "The Descendants," Clooney plays a man dealing with infidelity and tragedy at the same time. It's a role that took him outside the box.
"What I'm trying to do is push myself in every direction I possibly can for as long as they let me, because, as you well know about this industry, they don't let you for very long," said Clooney.
Payne has only directed a handful of films, including "Sideways" and "About Schmidt." He says the tough part is the screenplay.
"I want to speak when I have something to say. The tough part, I'm not super-prolific like Woody Allen or these guys who can just sit down and write or crank them out," said Payne. "I hope to acquire confidence and skill and access my own life experiences in the free way that they do. I haven't been able to do that yet."
award shows, academy awards, movie news, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean 35 min ago
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere