'Undefeated' directors discuss Oscar nod
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- "Undefeated" tells the story of the 2009 season of the Manassas Tigers, a football team whose young players have lived through tough times on and off the field.
A volunteer coach, Bill Courtney, helps them turn their program and their lives around.
The two LA-based documentary filmmakers spent nine months on location in north Memphis, Tenn. and learned some hard knock lessons from this struggling community.
"From day one we knew we wanted to tell a more of human interest piece and we wanted to make, we saw an opportunity to tell a "coming of age" story and football just happens to be the back drop," co-director TJ Martin said.
"You quickly find out that they're not going to go undefeated," said co-director Dan Lindsay. "That was important for us so that the audience knew from the beginning that this wasn't about wins and losses. This was about a team of people struggling against adversity um and trying to overcome that adversity."
Martin and Lindsay are the co-captains of this big screen project and shared the major behind-the scenes work on "Undefeated."
"We have the same kind of toolbox we can very easily communicate with each other, we don't have to explain anything to each other because we know the things that we need from directing stand point, from a camera stand point, from an editing stand point.
And what do they think about being part of this year's class of Academy Award nominees?
"The honor is to be recognized by your peers for your work is incredible, but for us, the biggest thing is it's an honor to the people in the community we profiled," Lindsay said.
academy awards, movie news, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 9 min ago
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought 28 min ago
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy near Torrance 16 min ago
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged
- Free admission offered to all national parks
- Ohio couple married 70 yrs die 15 hours apart
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite 11 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour