'Dancing With The Stars' competitor Gavin DeGraw didn't get dancing gene
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Gavin DeGraw doesn't want to be anything but the next "Dancing With The Stars" champion.
The 35-year-old singer-songwriter is trading in his microphone for some dancing shoes. But while DeGraw may be a talented musician, the dancing gene may have skipped his generation.
"I mean, let's be real, I don't dance, man. You know, I'm trying to be, I'm trying to be as realistic about this as possible. I have no dance background," said DeGraw.
"There was a guy that taught dance in my family three generation ago, but that has not been passed down. He's like a legend in the family from the Catskills like Patrick Swayze in 'Dirty Dancing,'" he added.
DeGraw is partnered with pro dancer Karina Smirnoff for season 14 of the ABC dancing competition. And the singer has a lot to live up to, as Smiroff won the mirror ball trophy last season with actor and Iraq war veteran J.R. Martinez.
DeGraw is already brewing up a scheme to get a step above his competitors.
"Lie, cheat [and] steal, my friend. I will, I will pull the brakes out of your car. No, I'm just kidding," he joked. "What am I willing to do? Probably moths in people's closets, just so right before show time they have holes all over, in places they never thought they would have holes."
The rest of the cast includes R&B legend Gladys Knight with pro dancer Tristan MacManus; "The View" co-host Sherri Shepherd with pro dancer Valentin Chmerkovskiy; TV personality Maria Menounos with pro dancer Derek Hough; "Family Matters" actor Jaleel White with pro dancer Kym Johnson; "Melrose Place" actor Jack Wagner with pro dancer Anna Trebunskaya; actress Melissa Gilbert with pro dancer Maksim Chmerkovskiy; actor and model William Levy with pro dancer Cheryl Burke; tennis legend Martina Navratilova with pro dancer Tony Dovolani; Disney Channel star Roshon Fegan with pro dancer Chelsie Hightower; Green Bay Packers receiver Donald Driver with pro dancer Peta Murgatroyd; and opera star Katherine Jenkins with pro dancer Mark Ballas.
"Dancing With The Stars" returns with a two-hour season premiere on Monday, March 19, at 8 p.m. on ABC7.
Check out photos of this season's dancing pairs rehearsing for Monday's premiere.
dancing with the stars, celebrity, television, abc, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest 9 min ago
- Cat rescued from 91 Fwy divider in Riverside
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
51 min ago