'Dancing With The Stars:' Contestants discuss injuries
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- One thing we've learned over 14 seasons of "Dancing With The Stars" is that the competition is not easy. The dancing is athletic and challenging and sometimes contestants get hurt.
Melissa Gilbert is nursing a mild concussion and whiplash after dancing a dramatic and ambitious Paso Doble on Monday.
Maria Menounos is Tangoing with stress fractures in her feet, not to mention cracked ribs.
"We're asking these guys to do some difficult things. Bodies aren't used to it, like, 'What are you doing to me?'" says Menounos' partner, Derek Hough. "Things happen, we need to take precaution. Honestly, sometimes I forget because they do so well. I expect a lot and things sometimes go overboard and injuries happen."
Menounos says she has a whole new respect for dancers.
Katherine Jenkins says she's hurting, too. She says she's got aches and pains, a blister and a pretty whopping bruise.
"I'm always in with a therapist getting a different muscle sorted. It's really tough," she says.
Gladys Knight says it's all about nursing yourself.
"I've had sore feet, sore hip, sore back, had it all," she says. "You have to be aggressive about taking care of yourself."
Roshon Fegan says he's going strong and has been fortunate to stay healthy.
"I'm just going to keep my head up and make sure I don't get injured," he said. "And I eat healthy now. I'm really on top of my diet."
The top 10 contestants will soon be whittled down to nine. The results show airs at 9 p.m. Tuesday on ABC7.
dancing with the stars, celebrity, television, abc, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Fontana suspect escapes from police station
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed 9 min ago
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...